Paul, modernly speaking

A modern translation of Paul's open letters to the believers in the Messiah

Friday

Applying Love in the Real World

You are reading my open letter to Rome, part: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][[10][[11]][12][13][14][15][16]


Obey the rulers who have authority over you. God is the giver of authority, and he puts these rulers in their places of power to maintain order. People who oppose authorities are often opposing what God has done, and they will be punished. Right rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people. There is no need to be afraid of such authority. Just do right, and they will praise you for it. After all, they are God's servants, and it is their duty to help you.

Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you'll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. That's why you must live responsibly—not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live.

That's also why you pay taxes—so that an orderly way of life can be maintained. Fulfill your obligations as a citizen. Pay your taxes, pay your bills, respect your leaders.


The Law = Love


Instead of running up debts, keep only the huge debt of love you owe each other. When you love others, you complete what the Law has been after all along. The Law—you know, those commands telling us not to sleep with another person's spouse, or take someone's life, or take what isn't yours, or be wanting what you don't have, or any other "don't" you can think of—finally adds up to this: Love other people as well as you do yourself. You can't go wrong when you love others. When you add up everything in the Law, the sum total is love.


Shed those old vices and sinful habits


My friends, you should already know this: the time and the hour has come for you to wake up from your sleep. Salvation is closer to us now than when we first believed! The night is almost gone; the day is close at hand. With that in mind, let's walk honestly in His light, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, nor in quarreling and jealousy. It's time to break your old flesh-pleasing vices. Shed off those old ways of the night, and put on new clothes: the armor of light, our Master, Jesus the Messiah!

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Judah Gabriel Himango said...

Hi folks,

The end of Romans 13 is both sobering and inspiring to live a Godly life. There's a Messianic Jewish folk song based off of the end of Romans 13 that really spoke to me a number of years ago. Here's a link to that song: Lamb - The Night is Far Spent.mp3

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah, I'm leaving for Israel soon. Could we speak? Your contact link is not operating for e-mail through AOL, and I can't openly publish mine.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah, I'm leaving for Israel soon. Could we speak? Please reach me through AIM or SKYPE ...x

10:24 PM  
Blogger Judah Gabriel Himango said...

HI anon - who are you?

If you want to talk, by all means. My email is

judah gabriel @ gmail . com

remove the spaces.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I sent you a note on Gmail.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting such a blessing, I have lost sleep sometimes to seek God and all his righteousness. I gotta share this with you, ..... See I had a dream onetime that I was at my X boss house (Jew) and I believe it was Sabbath or passover not sure. In his house there was a table set up and lots of food cause it was a big table. In the kitchen was a door that led to upstairs but it was open. His wife and other women were coming down the stairs holding a candle, kind of like a single file.
I went to the next room and saw the men all kneeling with their faces on the floor. (they had the black suits and hat s on)They looked as though they were in deep prayer, I thought to myself at the time, Well they are praying to the same God. I was compelled to kneel prostate also but was conflicted in my mind because I knew I was not a Jew. I was standing next to a vine and that vine slowly wrapped loosely around me and nudged me as though this plant vine was telling me to go ahead and pray. Kind of like saying it is ok. I told my boss this dream and all he said was that yes women do light candles. I was felt a lil amazed because I grew up Gentile, in fact it was rare my family ate together so it meant alot to me that I had a dream (as a gentile)eating at a table with the Jews for a feast. I just wanted to share that tid bit cause I know God is not a God of confusion and so from googling, reading scripture and prayer, I took a step back out of Christianity but not out of God and saw a HUGE picture I had not understood. I went from believing in A GOD to believing In God and now I BELIEVE GOD. He is so amazing.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Judah Gabriel Himango said...

Anon,

That sounds like a dream from the Lord.

Did you know that Zechariah prophesies when the Lord comes to earth, all nations, including gentiles, will go up to Jerusalem and celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles? I do believe it is good for gentiles to celebrate God's feasts, including Sabbath.

If you haven't already, give me a visit over at my blog. We discuss this stuff in detail and I'd love to have you as part of the conversations.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home